The fear of going to the dentist can appear for several reasons, such as a bad experience or bad memories; but we can control it, and even overcome it if the dentist is trustworthy. In some cases, psychology or psychiatry sessions may be needed to treat it and sometimes even these treatments don’t work. One of the best solutions to treat patients with this problem is intravenous sedation. Performing this anesthetic technique, the patient is sedated (not a general anesthetic) during the entire dental treatment, so that everything that causes stress disappears. Sedation allows us to do all the work comfortably without the patient noticing anything. The objective is to treat all possible dental pathology suffered by the patient in one session. The patient is always controlled and monitored by an anesthetist. Dentists work with excellent teams of anesthetists for the comfort of their patients.
Sedation to increase the patient’s well-being in treatment
The intravenous conscious sedation causes a slight decrease in their level of consciousness of the patient. However, it doesn’t affect your ability to breathe normally or the protective reflexes of your airway. In this way, the patient has full capacity to adequately answer anything the doctors tell him. Many people suffer stress when performing any dental or medical treatment in general (whether dental implants, endodontics, maxillofacial surgery, etc.). To avoid having a bad time, this type of conscious sedation is applied to reduce that level of anxiety and fear in the procedure. In this way, the patient is conscious but does not suffer from nervousness or anxiety for the treatments they receive or the anesthesia. The patient can undergo any treatment under the control and supervision of anesthetists by eliminating the stress, anxiety or even the discomforts caused by local anesthesia punctures. The procedure for applying intravenous conscious sedation is very simple. A vein is channeled in the hand that connects to a serum that administers the medication. This type of sedation is not essential for different dental treatments, but it offers the best result to patients suffering from odontophobia every time they go to the dentist.
Advantages of conscious sedation:
- It is a very effective technique. Its effects are felt immediately.
- The effects disappear shortly after finishing the treatment or interrupting the administration of the sedative, leaving a pleasant feeling of well-being in the patient.
- It allows controlling the depth of sedation and adapting it to the patient’s characteristics and treatment requirements.
- Having a venous route allows you to easily and effectively administer any other medication that the patient needs, more effectively and without any discomfort. Improving comfort and quality of treatment.
- It offers an extra security against any emergency, since having an intravenous route is one of the main procedures that should always be carried out if a medical emergency arises.
- It is extremely useful in hypertensive, hypochondriacal, nervous, anxious and disabled patients.